Monday, October 13, 2008

Inhale, Retain, Kiai!

Here are a few pics from the mid 80's. Below each picture is a little commentary from my brother, Sigung Ron Kingi. Enjoy! :-)
"This was back in the mid 1980's when everything was rough and tough! When we went up for any test, I remember it being very traditional, long and hard. Just like it still is today, but a little less compassion of course! My Dad pictured here, ran every test from then until the present and has done it in a way that no other school can match. Even though he is my Dad, he never made anything in my life easy. In fact, he always pushed me to do more, fight bigger people, take chances and to fear nothing. I know that I am who I am today because of him. He will forever be my idol, Hero and my inspiration to raise my kids with the same love and sacrifices to make it work. Thanks Dad for hitting me harder than anyone in this world could ever hit me!"

"This picture was also back in the mid 1980's. Throughout my Kajukenbo training, I can completely give all my credit to three instructors. When anyone asked me who my instructor is, my answer is my Dad (Rick Kingi), Keith Straughter and Lucuis Safford. Each one gave me different instruction and I benefited greatly from each one. I couldn't think of a better threesome to learn from and watch while growing up in the Kajukenbo system. Specifically, Keith Straughter provided me with allot of sparring techniques. He was among one of the most fierce fighter's in his days and still has a tremendous amount of knowledge to keep the spirit of Kajukenbo alive. Thanks Keith for teaching me about Kajukenbo and helping the development of my childhood. Much love."

1 comment:

Kingi's Kajukenbo said...

Dang that looked like that hurt dude! Lol!